Thursday, October 20, 2011

Easy Mini Frittata's

So in my attempt to reshape my life at age (almost) 30, weight and money are two big things I'm dealing with. Because I'd rather spend all my money on new clothing from the most recent JCrew catalog, I had to start taking control!

My biggest weakness is a fast food breakfast. And with fast food alley right in front of my office, it is a daily struggle. Because I'm starting on Dave Ramsey's cash envelope system for eating out, I thought breakfast was the first place to make some changes.

I took my mini frittata recipe from the blog below but tweaked a little bit for my taste and what I had on hand at home at the time. Here it is!

http://elizabethsedibleexperience.blogspot.com/2009/01/one-bite-wonders.html

My Version
3 large eggs
3 egg whites
2 slices ham
1/8 cup diced onion (I had some leftover from a soup, so this is a guess)
1/4 cup shredded colby jack cheese
a few shakes of pepper and salt


She used a mini muffin pan in her recipe, but I wanted to use a regular muffin pan so that I could throw 2-3 of these in a bag and eat with my banana at work. Preheat your oven to 350 and spray your muffin tin liberally with cooking spray (I had some sticking problems on some of them, so I'll probably use liners next time) In a skillet, cook up your onions and ham for a few minutes on medium heat. In a separate bowl scramble your eggs, cheese and seasonings and then add in your ham and onion mixture.

I managed to fill 11 of the cups with this mixture, but could've filled less and made them a little heartier.  Bake for 15 minutes or until set. Here are my little beauties below!

They turned out great! I brought 3 of them into the office with me for breakfast and don't feel like I missed my fast food breakfast sandwich. Next time I'll double the recipe and make more of them, or make them a little bigger, but for now here is your nutritional breakdown!

 11 Servings
Amount Per Serving
  Calories44.0
  Total Fat2.8 g
     Saturated Fat1.1 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat0.4 g
     Monounsaturated Fat1.0 g
  Cholesterol56.1 mg
  Sodium118.0 mg
  Potassium55.7 mg
  Total Carbohydrate0.4 g
     Dietary Fiber0.0 g
     Sugars0.0 g
  Protein4.6 g
(calculated via Sparkpeople)

2 comments:

  1. i am a egg freak! I love making frittatas too, but hadn't put them in little muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Amanda. I love pretty much anything in a muffin tin as it makes it easy to grab on the go. Its also nice to know somebody has visited the blog as I'm just starting to figure this whole thing out :)

    ReplyDelete